Battery protection is extremely important as motorists are going to avoid the inconvenience, and expense, of a flat battery. This is especially relative to vehicles that are left standing for prolonged periods of time such as seasonal farming vehicles, classics cars and motorcycles.
Batteries which are standing for an extended period will inevitably slowly discharge over time which, if left untreated will eventually kill the battery.
To avoid the battery failure, CTEK has some top tips for Battery Protection for vehicles that aren’t used on a regular basis.
When putting the vehicle away either between seasons or over winter:
- The battery should be checked for any cracks and disposed of or repaired professionally if needed.
- The top of the battery, the terminal posts and connections should be carefully cleaned with water and baking soda to remove any dirt or moisture. Dirty or moist surfaces increase the level of self discharge.
- Contact terminals should be clean, dry and lightly greased to protect against corrosion.
- Traditional wet / flooded batteries (not maintenance free types) should have electrolyte levels checked and topped up between min /max levels with distilled water.
- To avoid a flat battery maintain constant regular charge. If you have electricity in your garage or storage area you can use a smart battery charger that will maintain charge levels, keep the battery in good condition and ensure that vehicle is ready as soon as it is needed.
Before re-starting the vehicle:
- Ensure that the battery terminals are clean and secure.
- Check battery charge levels and recharge the battery if required.
- It is a common misconception that a jump start, followed by a long drive fully recharges the battery from the alternator. This is not the case, as an alternator will only partly charge the battery. After this first drive, the battery will need to be charged or it will quickly be drained once again.
Battery protection needn’t be a chore, especially with a CTEK smart charger in place. All of CTEK’s chargers are fully automatic, spark proof and reverse polarity protected and require no specialist knowledge to use.
Furthermore, due to the patented pulse maintenance technology, the range of chargers can be connected to the battery for months at a time meaning users can simply connect and forget.